Friday, February 19, 2010

Rationalization

Rationalization is a really useful thing for us. It helps us understand our world and why people do things. However, it also enables us to lie to ourselves by denying things that we really know to be true.

The way a character rationalizes his or her or another person's behavior helps deepen the character and lets us inside.

For example in Scott Smith's very engrossing book A simple Plan Hank, the narrator, says to Jacob: "None of this would have happened if you hadn't killed Lou," which is a lie. It's absolutely not true, and the reader knows this. I took the quote from p. 242 of the St. Martin's paperback edition published in 1993.

If you haven't read this, read it. If you have already read it, reread it. You learn a lot more in the rereading.

I want to help move writers' careers along. Is what I am saying helpful?

I want to help move writers' careers along. Is what I am saying helpful?

To get published as a Sherpa writer, contact me at 215 219 5825 or twb2@verizon.net.

To read my mystery, The Case of the Kearney Music School Murders (2007), for free at wwww.kearneymusicschoolmurders.blogspot.com or buy it from Amazon.com more cheaply than you can print it out.


If you want info on buying or selling a home, go to www.yourstopforrealestate.blogspot.com.

To receive Sherpa tips on entrepreneurship, go to www.hatman2.blogspot.com and for my ideas on the practice of real estate, go to www.yourstopforrealestate.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment