Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Nifty Piece of Foreshadowing

I ran across a nifty piece of foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is allowing you reader a tantalizing tidbit of the future direction of the story. A lover lifting her skirts just a little bit.

Scott Smith, on p. 166 of the 1993 St. Martin's Paperback edition of his very enjoyable novel A Simple Plan, says:
She was right, of course, or at least it seemed as if she was. But how could I have known then all the loss to which her simple plan would ultimately lead?
We've suspected all along that bad things were going to happen, just not what. Then this comes along and confirms our suspicions. We still don't know what yet, so we read on to find out. I'd have edited out "as if" but that's just me.

Again, the protagonist trying to let himself off the hook for his horrendous behavior.

But foreshadowing is like salt. Sparingly used, and at the right time, it enhances the taste of food. Too much ruins it.

I want to help move writers' careers along. Is what I am saying helpful?

To get published as a Sherpa writer, contact me at 215 219 5825 or twb2@verizon.net.

To read my mystery, The Case of the Kearney Music School Murders (2007), for free at wwww.kearneymusicschoolmurders.blogspot.com or buy it from Amazon.com more cheaply than you can print it out.


If you want info on buying or selling a home, go to www.yourstopforrealestate.blogspot.com.

To receive Sherpa tips on entrepreneurship, go to www.hatman2.blogspot.com and for my ideas on the practice of real estate, go to www.yourstopforrealestate.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment