Wednesday, March 10, 2010

On Commas

Having come away from reading Cormac McCarthy, who believes in no punctuation except periods at the end of sentences, to Scott Smith, author of A Simple Plan, a great title by the way, who uses every punctuation known to man or woman including semicolons, I've decided that less is more.

I don't go as far as McCarthy, because the reader has to follow the book, but get rid of as many commas as you can. They slow the reader down and mitigate mood.

Never mitigate mood.

To move writers' careers along, is what I am saying helpful?

To get published as a Sherpa writer, contact me at 215 219 5825 or twb2@verizon.net.

To read my mystery, The Case of the Kearney Music School Murders (2007), for free at wwww.kearneymusicschoolmurders.blogspot.com or buy it from Amazon.com more cheaply than you can print it out.


If you want info on buying or selling a home, go to www.yourstopforrealestate.blogspot.com.

To receive Sherpa tips on entrepreneurship, go to www.hatman2.blogspot.com and for my ideas on the practice of real estate, go to www.yourstopforrealestate.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment