Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Writing the Novel First: How to Write the First Draft

You write the first draft by writing it.

People say it's hard to write. They say starting a story is intimidating. People tell me the tyranny of the blank computer screen or of the white page. People tell me these things but I've never felt them. Not that writing isn't hard. Maybe it's because I always know what I'm going to write before I write it. Then I sit down and write it.

Just write. Don't outline. Don't think. Just start writing the story. Even if you think it is the worst thing ever written by anybody anywhere anytime. Keep writing until you get to the end. Even if you get other story ideas write them down and keep on writing the story you're writing.

Like Alice said writing a story is easy. You begin at the beginning then go right on through to the end and stop. Voila!

Remember, you're not a writer if you're not writing. And you can't sell anything if you have nothing to sell.

Take notes as you go. As you think of an idea or a character trait keep notes. Write down what you want to fix, i.e. "On p. 13 make Leslie's father the son of her brother's second cousin once-removed." But don't go back whatever you do. But do not--DO NOT--I repeat do not succumb to the temptation to go back and fix something.

Everybody thinks their work is crap. Usually the first time through it is.

To move writers' careers along is what I am saying helpful?

To read my mystery, The Case of the Kearney Music School Murders (2007), for free at wwww.kearneymusicschoolmurders.blogspot.com or buy it from Amazon.com more cheaply than you can print it out.

If you want info on buying or selling a home, go to www.yourstopforrealestate.blogspot.com.

To receive Sherpa tips on entrepreneurship, go to www.hatman2.blogspot.com and for my ideas on the practice of real estate, go to www.yourstopforrealestate.blogspot.com.

To read my mystery, The Case of the Kearney Music School Murders (2007), for free at wwww.kearneymusicschoolmurders.blogspot.com or buy it from Amazon.com more cheaply than you can print it out.

If you want info on buying or selling a home, go to www.yourstopforrealestate.blogspot.com.

To receive Sherpa tips on entrepreneurship, go to www.hatman2.blogspot.com and for my ideas on the practice of real estate, go to www.yourstopforrealestate.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment